This is release 2.6.9 (22 October 2006) of Vilistextum.
Vilistextum is a html to text / ascii converter specifically programmed to get the
best out of incorrect html. It is released as free software under the terms of the
GNU GPL Version 2
- small and fast
- understands HTML 3.2 upto 4.01 and XHTML 1.0
- creates footnotes for links
- can swallow multiple empty lines
- removes empty ALT attributes
- converts characters and entities between 128 and 159 from the
windows1252 charset to meaningful strings in ISO-8859-1. E.g. 0x93 is converted
- output can be optimized for ebook reading
- GUI-frontend using kaptain
- supports various multibyte encodings (e.g. Unicode, Shift_JIS)
For multibyte support your system needs libiconv.
If you want to use the GUI-frontend, you need to have
How to read HTML mail with gnus or mutt using vilistextum
If you want to use vilistextum for automatically converting html mails to
ascii read htmlmail
Bug reports or comments:
You can send your comments or bug reports in German or English to
If you've discovered a bug, please also include the link or attach a copy of the
html file that caused the bug.
There is a mailinglist on Sourceforge